This position is responsible to perform all registration, scheduling, order entry and reception functions and may float to various admitting site within the health system.
This position expedites and provides healthcare access through the accurate gathering of demographic, sponsorship or guardian data, insurance, clinical, financial, and statistical information from a variety of sources, i.e. patients, patient’s families, physicians, physician office staff, county and/or governmental agencies, CMS, FMS, etc.
This position ensures reimbursement for services rendered through verification of insurance eligibility/benefits, obtaining insurance authorization within required time frame, identification and collection of patient financial obligation and accurate charge order entry. Serves the patient and family in such a manner as to make the admission process as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
Nature and Scope:
The incumbent uses professionalism and diplomacy with interacting with patients of all ages, their families, physicians, physician office staff and other health care providers in the accurate collecting of demographic, clinical, and financial information in person or via telephone interviews.
Takes an active role in decreasing accounts receivables by following established guidelines, regulations, policies and procedures during the registration process in accurately:
* Obtaining and accurately entering demographic, clinical, financial information into the computer system.
* Explaining and obtaining signatures on admission, clinical and financial forms
* Collecting accident information
* Identifying all insurance payer sources
* Identifying payer order sequence
* Verifying insurance eligibility
* Obtaining insurance notification
* Charge order entry processing
* Determining estimated cost for services being rendered
* Identifying and collecting patient financial obligation amounts, i.e. co-payments, co-insurance, deductibles, etc.
* Documenting all information collected timely and in accordance with department requirements.
Explores the financial need of the patient and when appropriate refers the customer to the appropriate federal, state, or county assistance agencies.
The incumbent is responsible for scheduling, order entry and reception functions and assists in completion of departmental tasks.
This position has the authority to solve problems following established company guidelines. Decisions that must be referred to a supervisor are matters that involve problems which can develop negatively towards the company, time off requests, sick time, work schedules, interoffice problems, etc.
1. Adopts a philosophy consistent with the Renown Health Values and models them.
2. Ability to be diplomatic and effectively communicate during stressful situations.
3. Skills to anticipate customer needs, deal with the unexpected, establish priorities, investigate and adjust performance style when necessary. This includes the ability to deal with the sight of various injuries, procedures and the stress associated with such an environment.
4. Working knowledge of health care insurance. The ability to accurately document subscriber information, determine payer order sequence and obtain notification as required by payer for services being rendered.
5. Must be able to ensure all matters related to patient information are kept secured, meeting confidentiality compliance standards set by The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
6. Knowledge of governmental programs billing requirements.
7. Ability to identify the patient’s financial obligation, i.e. deductible, co-payment, co-insurance, etc. and follow standard operating procedures regarding point of service collections.
8. Skills to perform order entry.
9. Above average computer application skills.
10. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
11. Scheduling skills adaptable to a fast pace environment with heavy physician/physician office staff interaction.
Ability to be flexible and adapt to different Admitting department locations. This includes the ability to prioritize/multitask in a fast pace environment.
This position does not provide patient care.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.