Renown Health is a 24-hour/7-days a week operation, providing laboratory services to both inpatient and outpatients of all ages.
The incumbent must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide quality and timely laboratory test results for a diverse patient population. The Lab Program Coordinator will maintain organization of workload, complete quality control procedures, properly identify specimens, and determine proper equipment functionality.
The incumbent must be knowledgeable of and observe all safety requirements in a laboratory and hospital setting. Comprehensive knowledge must be maintained for all procedures that are required to be performed. Competency in work related skills must be demonstrated annually.
The incumbent ensures results are reported in the Laboratory Information System and keeps nursing personnel informed to assist in and expedite patient care. Notifies appropriate nursing personnel when a laboratory informational system or instrument is out of service.
The incumbent must consider the age of the patient when performing testing and releasing results. Must be able to communicate with a diverse patient population and their family when performing special procedures
Department Specific Qualifications: Compliance, Point of Care, Quality
Technical resource for outpatient lab staff
• Test codes, specimen handling/collection requirements, reference test guidance, result entry, cancellations
Manage robust laboratory compliance program
• New employee orientation, ongoing audits, annual training, adherence to CLIA, State of NV NRS/NAC regulations
Provide billing guidance
• Assist/instruct billing coordinators, insurance investigations, ICD10/CPT updates, denials investigations, MOLDx tracking, credits/adjustments, client bill accounts, new provider profiles
Conduct inspections of lab draw stations
• Verify compliance with established procedures/standard work, LIS registration
Assist the client services staff and Account Services Manager
• Educate/answer questions from providers/RN’s, clarify esoteric/unusual tests, HR/Wellness Services contact for Healthy Tracks and health fair planning, facilitate updates/printing of laboratory requisitions
Participate on inter-disciplinary/lab teams and committees
• Corporate Compliance, IDT, BLA, Preceptor, Operations, Support Services, Denials, Revenue & Integrity, Cytology, Utilization, CLQMP, PAR, etc.
Point of Care:
• Point of care device management
• Additions to existing inventory; device validation
• New device implementation
• Oversight of instrument interface; working with RALS, LIS Admin, and EPIC
• POC method comparison with core lab instrumentation
• Competency of operators; work with clinical educators and managers
• New users
• Annual competency
• Compliance with Federal, State, CAP regulations
• Quality control program for POC devices
• Daily, monthly, annual review
• Writing and review of policies and procedures for point of care testing
• Proficiency testing for POC devices
• Review of patient results
• Critical result follow-up
• Investigation of disparate results and provider concerns
• Supply management
• Order supplies
• Interact with vendors
• Provides training in the areas of customer services, document control, safety and others as needed
• Ensure areas of responsibility meet accreditation requirements provided by The Joint Commission, CAP, OSHA and Medicare.
• Participate in CAP, state and Joint Commission inspections
• Manages laboratory proficiency testing program and tracks exceptions
• Provides technical support to other hospital departments as needed
• Reviews all laboratory quality occurrence data
• Prepares presentations for committee meetings and educational programs.
• Analyzes and responds to client complaints, unusual incident reports and Risk Management inquires
• Develops quality reports, policies and procedures to ensure compliance
• Supports lab site leaders to maintain relevant documentation for inspection readiness and audit
Additional requirement for this position:
• Participate in a Renown Lab Committee such as (Quality Control, Safety)
• Serve as a preceptor to new employees
• Participate in CAP inspection planning and preparation.
• Participation in Every Day Lean or Transformational Health Care initiatives
• Research and develop new test methods
• Perform validation and linearity studies.
In addition, must fulfill one of the following competencies to qualify:
• Bacteriology competency in ( urine, blood, respiratory, wounds) and Molecular Microbiology or AFB/Mycology
• Core Laboratory competency in Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation and Immunology
• Point of Care
Or hold 1 of the following ASCP or AABB
• Specialist in Blood Banking(SBB)
• Specialist in Chemistry(SC)
• Specialist in Hematology (SH)
• Specialist in Microbiology(SM)
• Specialist in Molecular Biology MB(ASCP)
This position does provide patient care.