Under the general direction of the Director of Revenue Integrity, or designated Training Supervisor, the Revenue Cycle Trainer is responsible for overseeing the establishment of written policies and procedures for all education and training, orientation, competency and QA functions for revenue collections services in order to ensure efficient billing, third-party follow-up, self-pay follow-up and agency placements. Activities include discharged, not final billed management, claims processing, remittance, follow-up, denials and appeals, collections, payment applications, adjustments and refunds, payer contract management, and customer service.
Monitors current systems to ensure the Revenue Cycle personnel are utilizing systems to their maximum potential. Assists with system QA processes upon implementation of automation changes within Revenue Cycle. Identifies and communicates deficiencies in automated procedures and reported on bi-weekly or monthly basis. Randomly audits Revenue Cycle personnel to ensure individuals are utilizing systems and follow-up procedures accurately to ensure account resolution.
This position is responsible for ensuring that the hospital’s cash flow needs are met through the efficient delivery of a defined and unified training and orientation program for all revenue collection functions across the continuum of Renown Health that leads to a decrease in denials and underpayments and increases the optimal efficiency of the revenue collection transactions.
This position will identify and coordinate various projects related to Revenue Cycle in conjunction with the Revenue Cycle IT and hospital IT department and Revenue Cycle Leadership relative to various applications that will enhance or modify the facilities' Revenue Cycle operations. This position will also work with leadership to identify larger trends and opportunities for additional training or education to resolve issues.
The incumbent will keep abreast of all regulations and standards to assure compliance with directives issued by governmental/regulatory agencies or third party payers.
This position creates and administers revenue cycle training and education programs as well as ongoing professional development opportunities such as internal certification, career ladders, etc. This position has the authority to make specific choices about training and department specific orientation practices and identifies areas in training where review is required based on new workflows or systems. The incumbent also has the authority to recommend the development of new and/or modified registration, billing, follow up and collection systems, and customer service processes. Matters that will be referred for additional approval include major changes that affect revenue cycle policies in existence, alterations to contracts and budgets in accordance with established guidelines.
This position does not provide patient care.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Exceptional communication and organizational skills
2. Strong customer service skills including payment mechanism
3. Familiarity with adult education techniques and the principles of adult learning
4. Knowledgeable in third party payer issues including payer and contract specific compliance variations
5. Educated in collection policies, customer service and business application software
6. Possesses the knowledge regarding the importance of their actions for financial impact and accountability for accuracy.
7. Knowledgeable regarding information technology tools for data edits and information analysis.
8. Adopts a philosophy consistent with the Renown Health Standards of Conduct.
9. Analytical and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to work and communicate effectively with other departmental staff and management
10. Ability to coordinate the activities of subordinates in order to insure the most proficient cycling of registration, billing and subsequent payment of patient accounts
11. Provides support for the development and execution of plans to improve policies, procedures and systems throughout all revenue cycle departments
12. Ability to schedule, meet and maintain daily and monthly routines, assign personnel and maintain integrity of records as it relates to the department orientation , training, QA and annual competency validation process
13. Accomplished knowledge of hospital, professional and self pay collection methods and procedures
14. Ability to meet deadlines