|Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, the Nurse Apprentice provides optimal patient care through data collection and contributing to planning and implementation of the neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients and families within the Apprentice Nurse II scope of practice.
As defined by the Nevada State Board of Nursing, ‘supervision’ means: “Direction by a qualified nurse for the accomplishment of a nursing task or activity, including initial direction and periodic inspection of the actual accomplishment of the task or activity.”
The Apprentice Nurse demonstrates the ability to work with the patient’s physical, motor/sensory adaptation, cognitive and psychological needs specific to the population being served and meets standards of quality as measured by the unit/department age specific competency standards. When possible, the family or those significant to the family are considered as part of the care.
Evidence based nursing practice, along with beginning critical thinking skills, are required to provide optimally safe patient care when interacting with internal and external contacts and exercising judgment and making decisions. Professional nursing practice is congruent with the American Nurses Association Code of Ethics.
The scope of practice for the Nurse Apprentice includes verified skills by the nursing program instructor and included in the Nevada State Board of Nursing Skills List for Apprentice Nurses.
1. Apprentice Nurse Skills List (for RN Nursing Students), Nevada State Board of Nursing Website, February 10, 2004
2. Code of Ethics for Nurses With Interpretive Statements, American Nurses Association Publication
3. Edwards, DuAnne; The Synergy Model: Linking Patient Needs to Nursing Competencies, Critical Care Nurse; Vol. 19, No. 1, February, 1999
4. Magnet Recognition Progress, Recognizing Excellence in Nursing Service – Healthcare OrganizationInstruction and Application Process Manual, American Nurses Association Credentialing Center; Washington, DC, 2002, pp. 134, 135, 127
5. Nurse Practice Act, Nevada Revised Statutes, Chapter 632, NAC, Chapter 632. Nevada State Board of Nursing, September, 2002
Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, American Nurses Association Publication