Position Purpose Under the supervision of the Sterile Processing Manager, Supervisor, and/ or their designee, incumbent will process and prepare multi-specialty and general surgery instrumentation, provide quality sterile trays, surgical instruments, packs and medical supplies, and clean patient equipment for a multi-million dollar department on a 24hr, 7 day a week basis. Nature and Scope This position provides a vital service to the Surgical Services Department as well as other clinical departments within the Renown Health Network which cannot function without the instrumentation and equipment prepared by this staff. This position is utilized for cleaning; assembling instruments; sterilization of supplies; provides all initial cleaning and decontamination of instruments and trays; serves as a resource to operating room personnel.
The major challenges to this position are learning constantly changing instruments, equipment, procedures, sterile techniques, and efficiently handling the equipment and supply needs for emergency cases. Determining processed instrumentation meets stringent criterion for sterility and use in the operating room. Serves as the source for identifying outside vendor instruments, systems, and their locations. Provides assistance to all outside vendors on a daily basis including maintaining their instruments and sets.
The conditions of work may involve exposures to communicable disease and potentially dangerous gases (where appropriate), chemicals, and injury from sharp instruments.
This position is responsible for monitoring the need for instruments, implants, and supplies.
This position is utilized for their expertise in providing service to physicians, staff, and outside hospitals. This position:
• Must be conscientious, industrious, precise and reliable.
• Incumbent must pay close attention to detail and have the ability to retain knowledge of the work involved, be capable of planning and assessing priorities to maintain adequate production, accept responsibility, and prefer activities of a repetitive nature.
• Maintains proper levels of instruments and supplies needed for reprocessing.
• Maintains proper patient charges related to the Sterile Processing Department to all user stations throughout Renown Health and off-site affiliates.
• Accurately maintains comprehensive quality assurance standards related to sterilization and infection control in a sterile area.
• Operates within the sterilization procedures.
• Determines whether each piece of equipment that is processed is in correct working condition.
• Determines whether processed instrumentation meets the stringent criterion for sterility and use in the Operating Room prior to distribution.
• Maintains adequate levels of reserve supplies for routine use and emergency situations.
This position has the freedom to relocate equipment to increase work efficiency and safety.
Demonstrates the positive behaviors that reflect understanding and support of the organizational mission, vision and purpose.
Flexible hours and overtime may be required to meet customer needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of medical instruments and their use and location in Sterile Processing.
- Working knowledge of basic Anatomy, Physiology and Microbiology.
- Ability to work safely with Ethylene Oxide under permissible exposure limit (where appropriate).
- Understanding of patient equipment and its proper use/function.
- Ability to safely handle items contaminated with possibly infectious material.
- Ability to work with pressurized sterilizers.
- Ability to utilize proper telephone etiquette.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Conflict management skills.
- Fine motor skills.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with Renown Health Living Our Values.
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize their duties.
- Responsible for assembling/restocking all implant systems (where appropriate).
- In OR assistance for questions regarding instrumentation and proper use. Knowledge of OR aseptic technique (i.e. opening instruments/supplies on the sterile field). Accurately maintains comprehensive quality assurance standards related to sterilization and infection control in a sterile area.
- Responsible for tracking and retrieving instruments and supplies loaned interdepartmentally and to outside hospitals.
- Other related duties, flexible hours, and overtime may be required.
This position does not provide patient care. Disclaimer The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job. Minimum Qualifications
Requirements – Required and/or Preferred Name Description Education: Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing and speaking English. Preference will be given to applicants with formal training from a recognized Central Service Technician preparatory program: Purdue University, IAHCSMM, etc.
Preferred passing results from a formal examination for certification from a recognized certifying organization, CBSPD or IAHCSMM. Experience: At least one year in Sterile Processing or other related medical field is preferred. License(s): None. Certification(s): CSPDT or CRCST preferred upon hire. Required to obtain CSPDT or CRCST within 24 months of hire. Computer / Typing: Must possess, the computer skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.