Volunteer Services is looking for high school students who are ready to explore a medical career by giving their time and talents this summer. The High School Volunteer Program runs from June to August, and the deadline for applications is Friday, March 16.
The volunteer program is for those starting their junior or senior year in high school. It is not a job-shadowing program, but instead offers students the chance to assist patients, visitors and employees at either Renown Regional Medical Center or Renown South Meadows Medical Center. High school volunteers will:
- Learn to work at one of our welcome desks
- Greet and escort patients and family to their destinations within the hospital
- Visit rooms and lobbies to interact with patients and visitors
- Help with running errands, delivering mail and flowers
It’s a great opportunity for students to enhance their communication, customer service and critical thinking skills. Volunteers work as a team and also build relationships while at Renown. It’s also a good boost to a college application. Plus, volunteers will have fun and feel good at the same time, knowing they have the power to make a difference in someone’s life.
Qualifications and requirements include:
- Completed application and cover letter forms
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or coach
- The ability to volunteer twice a week for a scheduled shift of four hours
- Attending mandatory orientation with a parent/guardian. Orientation will consist of reviewing policies and procedures and going through the process to obtain a medical clearance (blood work required)
- Passing a background check
Missing no more than two weeks of scheduled shifts. If you are taking an extended vacation over summer break, we will not be able to accept your application.
For information and an application packet, please call 982-7124 or email VService@renown.org. Only the first 60 completed and qualified applications will be accepted.